CelebrateErie is back in 2022, after a two-year hiatus because of the pandemic. The region's biggest celebration of all things Erie is happening this weekend, Friday, Aug. 19 through Sunday, Aug. 21.
Macaroni KID Erie Publisher Kara Murphy is proud to serve as the director of CelebrateErie's Family District for 2022. The Family District is one of five distinct districts you'll find at CelebrateErie, each showcasing a part of what makes Erie unique.
Here's more about the five districts you'll find at CelebrateErie:
Photo courtesy of CelebrateErie
Engaging family fun for children, teens, parents, and grandparents at the biggest family district ever. The Family District hours are noon to 7 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
- Interactive Family Experiences: from crafting to STEM to music and arts, there’s something for everyone in the family to join in the fun.
- Family District Stage: music, dance, and wellness activities for children and adults to enjoy.
- PAL Youth Basketball Tournament: Youth basketball tournament with Erie Police Athletic League (PAL) on Saturday, Aug. 20.
- 3-point Basketball Competition: Walk-up 3-point competition for youth and adults on Friday, Aug. 19 and Sunday, Aug. 21.
- Cornhole Tournament: Walk-up Cornhole Tournament for friends and families to join throughout the entire weekend.
Programming and Activities in the family district:
Highmark Because Life
Children’s Miracle Network
Giant Eagle Snack Station
expERIEnce Children’s Museum
Erie County Public Library
Park's Tae Kwon Do
Card My Yard
Giant Eagle Snack Station
Woodard Dynasty Entertainment
Erie News Now
Hagen History Center
Inner-City Neighborhood Art House
World of Music
Erie Fire Department
The Music District includes five stages — each with its own distinct ambience and personality and featuring local and regional musical acts of all genres. Evening concerts will be national headlining bands on the mainstage — X Ambassadors Friday; Mya and Ja Rule Saturday; and Jimmie Allen Sunday.
There will also be interactive drum circles and features local and regional musical acts of all genres, followed by national headlining acts each evening.
- Mainstage (4th and State streets): the largest free music concert in the region, hosting three nights of world-class musical acts and local opening acts.
- District Stages: four different stages showcasing musical and performing art from the region’s most talented entertainers.
- Interactive Drum Circles: walk-up drum circles for guests to join in and enjoy the collective rhythm.
You'll find a display of our region’s visual arts, interactive demonstrations, and artisan vendors in the Art District including:
- Chalkwalk: a colorful display of more than 40 street masterpieces, showcasing a wide range of creative subjects.
- Artisan Vendors: artwork of all types of medium, created and sold by some of Erie’s finest local artists.
- Demonstrating Artists: watch artists craft their artwork live, right on the street.
- Artist Gallery: explore a hometown gallery dedicated to local art and artists.
- Erie Insurance Marketplace: will include a number of local artists in addition to the many small businesses featured over a two-block span.
Enjoy diverse sights, sounds and tastes from the international cultures that call Erie their home.
- Multicultural Marketplace: local merchants representing the diverse cultures and goods from around the world.
- Unique Cuisine: a sampling of some of the finest international food vendors that are unique to Erie.
- Jefferson Society Lecture Series: The Jefferson Educational Society will offer a series of lectures and events at CelebrateErie. All events will be hosted at City Hall (626 State Street). Find details on lectures and times here.
- This year, culture will be interwoven throughout the event, and the Erie Insurance Marketplace will include a diverse group of local vendors, artists, and businesses showcasing their wares over a two-block span.
- Barbershop: A unique, on-the-street barbershop experience with FREE haircuts– especially those going back to school! Between South Park Row and 7th St.
Enjoy unique cuisine from our region, from food trucks, to local dining, to locally made wine and craft beer. CelebrateErie features some of Erie’s favorite local food, including restaurants, food trucks, and the new Flagship City Food Hall, as well as brick-and-mortar bars, restaurants, and other establishments throughout the event space.
Restaurants / Caterers in Perry Square
- Brewerie at Union Station
- Stanganelli’s Italian Foods
- Three B’s Saloon
- Outlaw Barbeque Revolution
- Connie’s Ice Cream
- The Big Cheese
- Mel’s Mobile Dinor
- Spanglish Skillet
- Mad Tortilla
- Happy Camper Snack Shack
More than 30 of Erie’s hometown businesses and the people behind their success, all in one place in the Business District.
- Small Business Retail Setups: tailored to showcase and feature the unique products sold right here in Erie.
- Interactive Showcase: a display of products and services from Erie’s business community, including hands-on demonstrations and activities.
- Marketplace: The Erie Insurance Marketplace at CelebrateErie will feature a diverse group of local vendors, artisans and businesses showcasing their wares.
All images courtesy of CelebrateErie.