As parents, sometimes it seems we spend all of our time taking care of our family's needs, especially now during COVID in Erie when everyone is home more. I don't know about you, but I've found all that "need" eventually makes me burn out if I don't make the effort to take care of myself too.
It's certainly a lot harder to fill your family's emotional needs if your own emotional bank account is on empty.
So here are 7 ideas on how you can find that important time for yourself too, even in Erie during the time of COVID:
1. Spend time outdoors
Looking for some great trails in Erie? There's Presque Isle of course, but also Asbury Woods, Frontier Park and along the bayfront. Looking for a new trail to try? Check out our story "11 Places to Go Hiking, Biking and Exploring in Erie County." Snow on the ground? Asbury Woods rents cross country skis and snowshoes. Head out by yourself or with a friend.
2. Plan a romantic date night in
My kids, who are 9 and 11, love special nights where they get popcorn for dinner and get to watch a movie on a laptop in bed. It's the height of childhood luxury! They don't know it's our way of sneaking in a date night. While they're happy upstairs, we order dinner from one of our favorite restaurants, splurge on a movie rental or play games. We just received a gift subscription to the monthly box "Hunt a Killer" and it's so much fun! We love ordering takeout for date nights from:
3. Find your "people"
Join a local parenting group on Facebook or find a local club or organization that matches your interests.
- Find a MOPS group in Erie
- Join Erie City Moms for regular online meetings and cooking classes (You don't have to live in the city!)
- Homeschooling? Check out Homeschooling Connections of Erie, Pa. for support
- Join Erie, Pa., Moms Group on Facebook for support and to ask questions or advice
4. Schedule a spa day
Relax, lie back, and feel your everyday concerns wash away with a spa day. There are so many great saps to choose from in Erie. Whichever one you choose, your newly energized self will thank you. Here are three Erie spas open and with COVID precautions in place:
5. Try something new
It's easy to get bogged down with all of life's "busyness." Take a little time away and explore an activity or hobby you've always wanted to try. Some great places in Erie to find classes?
- World of Music offers in-person, private lessons for both kids and adults
- Park's Taekwondo offers classes for adults can help you become stronger and more confident. (Plus you can enter to win a free month of classes now!)
- Penn State Extension offers online classes ranging from "Beekeeping 101" to "Mediterranian Cuisine Comes to You."
6. Savor a few minutes of solitude
Spending time alone is good for the soul. Let your partner know you need some alone time and head off to relax -- read a book, take a bath or even just take a walk around the neighborhood. Don't feel like you always have to be doing something "productive."
7. Check the Macaroni Kid Erie website!
Check the Macaroni Kid Erie calendar and website for the latest ideas on family fun in Erie. You'll find ideas there on how to find your family fun -- even during the pandemic.
Taking care of yourself is so important, and not something to be overlooked -- it will make you a better mom at the end of the day!