I've loved the family-friendly vibe downtown has been cultivating, with events like the Erie Downtown Partnership's weekly summer story times and the Glow Yoga Rave on top of the new Dobbins Landing mural. It's been the little things too -- like the fun bubbles Andora's Bubble pumps out of its tea shop to make young passersby smile.
So I can't wait for this Sunday's family-centered Downtown Fall Fest, which as far as I can remember is the first of its kind and will celebrate everything fall has to offer. It was coordinated by Oasis Market, the Erie Downtown Partnership and Professional Development Associates.
"Having the Fall Fest Downtown is a wonderful opportunity for everyone of all ages to enjoy the great activities that the fall season has to offer while exploring the great business we have downtown," said Faith Kindig, founder of Oasis Market. "We have all been working together to create a festive family friendly atmosphere that everyone can enjoy."
Highlights of the Sunday, Oct. 20th Erie Downtown Fall Fest include:
- A Jack Frost Donuts donut-eating contest
- Kid's Street 'N' Treat Candy Walk
- A costume contest
- Spooky storytimes
- Face painting by Taradoodles
- Archery demonstrations
- Family-friendly Halloween movies
- Hands-on kids mural experience
- Cooking demos
There will also be a farmers market, put on by Burch Farms Country Market and Winery where you can stock up on pumpkins and mums.
I feel like this is the kind of event that can really help define a downtown, bring the region together and make us feel great about what a great place Erie is for families. So I can't wait to support it, and I hope to see a lot of you there Sunday! Don't forget to have your kids come in costume!
Here are the details of the Fall Fest, which takes place Sunday, Oct. 20:
The Oasis Stage, Ninth and State streets
- 12:00 - 12:30: Annalise Vaughn
- 1:00 - 1:30: Brooke Ashley Surgener
- 2:00 - 2:30: Jack Frost Donuts Donut-Eating Contest (Two categories: children under 15 years old and those 15 years old and up)
- 2:30 - 3:00: Lifethrumusic
- 3:00 - 4:00: Street ‘N’ Treat Costume Parade & Contest (for kids 12 and under)
Palace Centre Pocket Park, 913 State St.
- 12:30 - 3:00: Spooky stories every half hour
- 12:30 - 3:30: Face painting by Taradoodles
- 2:00 - 3:00: Kids’ Halloween Movies inside
Boston Store, 7th and State streets
- 12:00 - 4:00: Fall Maker’s Market
- 12:00 - 4:00: Archery Encounters LLC
Special thanks to sponsors of the Downtown Fall Fest. The sponsors include The Oasis Market, the Erie Downtown Partnership, Professional Development Associates, Inc., Sam Catania Painting, and MMI Intellectual Property.