I am a firm believer in life hacks. They save time, money, my sanity, and undoubtedly make my life easier.
That's especially true with cleaning hacks, as I feel like I've been constantly cleaning during quarantine with my kids home so much!
Here are my 12 favorite cleaning hacks:
1. Clean your shower/bathtub with equal parts blue Dawn and white vinegar.
- Heat up the vinegar in the microwave until hot, but not boiling.
- Add in blue Dawn and swish until mixed.
- Pour into a spray bottle and spray your shower and tub — leave for about an hour.
- You should be able to wipe away soap scum and dirt without any elbow grease required!
2. Put your aluminum cookie sheets in the oven when using the self-cleaning feature and they will come out looking brand new.
- Do NOT use this method for your nonstick cookie sheets!
3. Use an old pillowcase to catch dirt and dust when cleaning ceiling fans.
- Place the pillowcase over one blade at a time and tap the blade. Wipe it as you remove the pillowcase.
- Repeat for each blade, inverting and shaking out the pillowcase as needed. Wash between cleaning sessions.
- BONUS: Spray a small amount of Turtle Wax Spray on the blades to keep them clean longer.
4. Spray Rain-X on your glass shower doors, and you won't need to clean them as much.
- Spray the doors right after cleaning and water will bead up instead of sticking to the glass!
5. Remove hairspray residue from walls, counters, and floors with a mix of one part fabric softener to two parts water.
- Paint the mixture on with a sponge and leave for 5 minutes.
- Wipe off with paper towels. (You will be amazed. Just wait.)
6. Put silicone cupcake liners in your car's cup holders.
- When they get dirty, run them through the dishwasher. Your cup holders will stay shiny and new.
7. Clorox toilet bowl cleaning gel works wonders on grout.
- Let the gel sit for 30 minutes, if possible.
- Or use a toothbrush or small grill brush and really get in there!
8. Pour a little Pine-Sol in the bottom of your outside trash can after each trash pick up to keep the "trash juice" smell away.
- I keep a bottle right next to the cans for easy access.
9. Heat up wet paper towels in your microwave to loosen stuck-on foods.
- Make sure the paper towels are a bit more than damp, but not soaking wet, and heat for one minute. Then easily wipe off the mess inside the microwave!
10. Use dryer sheets...
- In your heating/AC vents, and your house will always smell laundry fresh.
- To clean ceiling fans and baseboards. It will keep dust at bay in both areas.
- To clean dusty and dirty window screens.
11. Use Barbasol Shaving Cream to clean mirrors and stainless steel. No streaks!
- Not only will everything shine, your house will smell fresh and clean.
12. Store folded (or unfolded!) sheets in the coordinating pillow case.
- Never lose pieces of the set again and easily store the sheets in your linen closet!
What tried and true cleaning life hacks do you use? Tag @MacaroniKid on Instagram and let us know!