Looking for Erie County places to take your kids apple picking near Erie? We have details about three pick-your-own farms in Erie County with apple orchards. Three things to note before heading out to apple pick at an Erie, Pa. farm:
- Farms can sometimes change hours on short notice depending on weather, fruit availability and other factors. It's best to call ahead or check their social media page before heading out to make sure pick-your-own is available that day. Prices can also change from what is listed here.
- Bring your own containers or bags! Some farms charge extra for containers.
- Bring cash. Some farms don't take credit cards.
Here are three farms in Erie County, Pennsylvania, where you can pick your own apples:
9210 Sidehill Road, North East
Hours: 8-6 pm Mondays through Saturdays and Sundays 8-5 pm
From the Burch Farms Facebook page Sept. 9:
Paula red's currently available for PYO. Macintosh and hopefully galas available as soon as this weekend, as long as the weather holds.
🍎Lehman Fruit Farm
6550 Pieper Road, Girard Township
Hours: Mondays through Fridays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
From a phone recording Sept. 9:
PYO Macintosh apples will begin about Sept. 14 with other apples following.
🍎Sceiford Quality Fruit
11820 Middle Road, North East
Hours: Mondays through Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Sundays, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
From the Sceiford Quality Fruit Facebook page Sept. 5:
- Ginger Gold: Crisp, juicy, and sweet. Nice for school lunches and hold their shape well when baked.
- Early Mac: smooth-skinned, well-known flavor. These first Macs of the season will be followed by the standard McIntosh.
- Burgundy: tart, acid, tangy, and juicy. They come a bit harsh fresh from the trees, but mellow very quickly. These apples are fabulous for pink sauce with a very unique flavor. We have a very limited number.
- Paula Red: tart, with a break apart crunch. Paula is a traditional gal and can be compared to a less dense Cortland in flavor. She's not a "looker", but a good choice for an early all-around.
- Also PYO Bartlett pears.
Looking for PYO grapes in Erie County? You can pick your own grapes at Rahal Farms, 8200 Bort Road, North East (814-725-1257). Open Fridays through Sundays 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fredonia grapes ready now. Concords ready Sept. 18-20.
Don't miss more apple fun:
This article will be updated as the season progresses so check back regularly for updates! Do you have a favorite spot to take your family for apple picking in Erie County that you don't see listed here? Let me know at email@example.com and I'll add it!